Summer Canning

I've been canning now for a few years.  Thanks to all my great friends for teaching me how now I can do it myself in my own home.  Here are a few pictures of what I canned this summer.


This was the first time I've ever canned peaches & they were a lot of work, but they are oh so good!!!
I will definitely be doing these again next year, but with some help.  These peaches are canned in a medium syrup & I'm sure that's what makes them extra yummy-sugar.  Click here for the peach canning instructions that I used.



This is what I made with the peach skins--Peach Honey.  After throwing away all the pits, I read the directions on how to make this recipe and realized that I should have kept the pits.  Oh well, next year.  This stuff is so yummy & you should totally try it out.  Here is the link to this awesome recipe by Gertrude Buchanan.


This was also the first time I canned pears.  As you might be able to tell in the pictures, I should have canned them a couple days before they got really soft.  But after canning the peaches I had to have a break, so I figured extra ripe pears would just have to do.  Here is the recipe I used for the pears.


I kept the skins from the pears as well and made yummy pear honey using the same recipe as the peach honey.  All I can say about all this honey is yum, yum, yum!  It's divine on toasted honey whole wheat bread.


This is the first year I grew pickling cucumbers & my plant took forever to grow cucumbers, so I only got 3 jars of dill pickles.  I have yet to know how these taste, because first off, I don't like pickles & second, they had to sit for two weeks before we could even open them.  I think my husband is waiting to open them because he knows he only has 3 jars & he'd probably eat an entire jar at one sitting. :)  Click here for this recipe.


I've been canning jelly for a couple years now and last year I didn't have to buy any at the store, which was so nice, but we used every last jar of it.  So this summer I had to make more to get us through another year.  We have raspberry bushes that provide lots and lots of raspberries, so I was able to make enough jelly and I even had some left over raspberry juice which I froze in case I need to make more.  I borrowed a food strainer from my friend and it was so much faster then using cheese cloth like I did the year before.  I definitely need to get me one of these.  The recipe I use for my jelly is from the Sure Jell pectin box found here. 

I know canning takes a lot of time and sometimes it's even cheaper to buy these products at the store, but it's something I really enjoy doing when I have the time.  Here is my pinterest board of canning recipes, some I've used and some I have yet to use.


RSSFeed by EmailFacebookPinterestPinterestTwitterBlogFrog







No comments:

Post a Comment

We're so glad you stopped by! We read ALL your comments because we LOVE to hear what you have to say!

If you have any questions please leave your email or link it to your comment & we'll get back to you as soon as we can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...